What is EML File?
EML file format developed by Microsoft for Outlook and Outlook Express. An EML file, an archived email that preserves the original HTML formatting and the headers.
EML files are the archived files generated by the email clients such as Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Outlook, etc. EML files consist of email messages, metadata, properties, attachments, etc.; when you find or receive any EML files from any of the sources and wonder what kind of content gets included inside the file, it becomes essential to know some tricks to open the EML files in Windows.
Programs Used to Open EML Files
- Mozilla Firefox
- File Viewer Plus
- IBM Notes/Domino Email Client
- MBOX Supported Email Client
- Outlook Express Email Client
- Microsoft Outlook Email Client
- Windows Mail Email Client
Ways to Open EML Files in Windows Environment
1.View the EML File as a Plain Text
We mentioned as the simplest method to open the file, but it is restricted to show only the file’s body content and not the remaining formatting within the message; instead, it displays the bizarre characters in their place. Steps described for this method are:
- Firstly, go to the EML file and then right-click on the file and select the option of “Open With.” Then select the Notepad option from the opened menu.
- It would then open your EML file in the Notepad application in some specific coding form.
- Then, find the body content of the email message within the <body> and <html> tags. The links can also be copied and pasted in the web browser to preview its included content.
2.By Using Email Client
The given method involves using any email client platform available in windows to open the EML files. Let us look at the steps to execute this:
- Firstly, reach out to the folder location on the system having EML files. Select the EML file and then right-click on it, then select the option of “Open With” and then choose the Mail, Windows Live Mail, or any email client of your choice from the given options.
- Your EML file will open immediately, displaying the complete message details and the formatting.
- Users can then view everything embedded in the EML file and then download the email client platform’s attachments.
3.Open EML File with Professional Utility
The above manual needs either an Email Client Applications or the extension change during the use of a professional utility such as Email Viewer. Let us now get to know the procedure followed by this software:
- Firstly, start the EML Viewer program already installed on the system.
- Then add the desired number of EML files from the system located in the given option.
- Then each EML file will get listed below, and by selecting the desired file, you can view the full preview along with the Metadata properties and the added attachments. And click on the attachments to view the complete content of the file.
- Now you can also save the list of EML files to the HTML file format if required.
4.In the Web Browser (Changed Extension)
- Firstly, go to the EML files location, select each file, right-click on the file, and then select the Rename option.
- Now remove the EML file extension from the filename and then replace it with the.MHTML file extension.
- A pop-up arises asking for the file extension change. Confirm it for your action.
- After the file extension got changes, try to open the changed MHTML file with the Internet Explorer web browser.
- Now you can see the EML file content in the given MHTML file.
Different methods to Open EML File
1.Open file in the mail client
- On opening the EML file in the email client, you can then download any attachments included in the file. Also, you can view the exact formatting and images.
- If you dint have an email client or unable to open the EML files, then read on.
2.Change the file extension to view in the browser.
- Firstly, enable file extensions if they got hidden. In Windows 8, you can then check out the “File name extensions” box in the view button of any Explorer window.
- Right-click on the EML file and then select Rename.
- Then delete the EML file extension and replace the extension with the .mht. Windows will then warn you that this step could cause problems with your file. You click on the confirm button to change the file extension.
- Then open the file in Explorer. Right-click on the file and then select the option of “Open With” and choose the Internet Explorer from the menu. This particular action would open the MHT file similarly to the EML file format.
3.Download and Install the File Viewer EML
Firstly, browse the folder that includes EML files.
- Double click on the folder. Please select any one EML file of your choice to view them.
- Also, you can view any of the associated attachments of the email.
4.View file as the plain text
- Right click the EML file and then select the open with option
- Then select Notepad
- Find the tags <html> and <body>.
- Then find <a href= tags to search the links.
1.Open EML file in Apple Mail
- Right-click on the ctrl-click the EML file and then select the “Open with” option.
- Then choose the Mail from the list of applications.
2.Use Macintosh Entourage or the Outlook for Macintosh
Once you had installed it right, click on the EML file, select “Open With,” and select the entourage or outlook from the list.
3.Extract the EML file with the Stuffit expander
- Firstly, download and install the Stuffit expander from the Mac App Store.
- Then drag the EML file in the Stuffit window. And you can extract the multiple EML files at once.
- Then open the new folders created for each EML file, where you will find attachments, images, and text documents too as the separated files.
4.View EML file in plain text
- Right-tap on the EML file and then select “Open With.”
- Then select the “TextEdit” from the list of programs.
- Look for the HTMLtags.
1.Download Letter Opener program
Android does not support Letter Opener programs. So, search for the EML reader in the Google Play Store.
2.Open EML file
- If you had received an EML file in the form of attachments, open it in your Gmail and then click on the EML attachment.
- If you have downloaded the file from any website, then use a File manager to open the file.
3.Select the Letter Opener from the list of programs
When you open the EML file, you will then prompted to select an application. Letter Opener should appear in the menu. Click on the “Always” button to associate the EML files with the new application.
4.Read through the EML file.
Now the letter opener will show the EML file in the form of an email message containing From, To, Date, Subject, and the message’s body.
- Click on the attachment to open, and then click on the application and read the file type.
- Click on the Save icon to extract the file from the EML file and then place it in the download folder.