Mkv represents Matroska multimedia container. The Mkv is a free, open standard file design, a file position that can hold a boundless number of video, sound, picture, or caption tracks in a single file. Extension file for Mkv are.MKV for video (which could conceivably incorporate captions and audio).MK3D for stereoscopic video, MKA for just sound files, MKS for captions just, and may include.SRT.USF. SSA, or VobSub captions. Mkv files are normally used for putting away short video cuts, TV shows, and motion pictures.
It is like different formats.AVI.ASF and.MOV and can contain any number of video, sound, picture, and caption tracks. Sight and sound files that use the Mkv configuration and store at least one video files are named as Mkv Video files and are separated by the. Mkv file extension. This file extension is regularly used to gather short video cuts, TV shows, and motion pictures, it is well known in the anime fan-subbing network. Numerous clients make captions and different things. The Mkv design is especially useful since it underpins numerous sound and caption tracks in a similar file. You can without much of a easily change an unknown language track by using your media player controls.
How to open the Mkv file?
Different ways to open Mkv file in window, android, and mac. Mkv format appears to be an actual or real treasure, but it has not yet become a standard, and not all the video players support it.
- Download a media player that supports Mkv file extension.
- Add media codecs in your current video software by downloading.
- Convert Mkv file extension to other extensions like AVI or MP4.
Download a media player that supports Mkv file extension.
It is one of the most popular media players which is capable of simulating Mkv files is VLC Media Player. It is free and can be used on all popular operating systems like Windows, Mac, and Android.
- To open Mkv files with VLC Media Player, you need to do :
- Download VLC media player from the official site, AppStore, or Google Play;
- Install the file of media player on your PC, laptop or mobile device;
- The open VLC media player on your PC, laptop or mobile device;
- Add your Mkv files using an interrelated button.
- Click the Play button to start the Mkv extension file.
For the Mac Operating System:
- From the Finder, find and choose the Mkv file; right-click on the file and then select Get Info;
- Into the Info window, click the sign next to Open with option;
- Choose VLC from the list;
- To open all Mkv files with VLC media player, click Change All.
Download media codec to play Mkv (PC & Mac)
A codec is a computer program which is used to encode or decode any kind of digital media files. We need codecs that play Mkv videos with a default system media player. There is a lot of free codecs online that you can use for this purpose.
These media codecs usually provide you with an option to generate a variety of video and audio files that you have seen online. You should pay attention to being free, and media codecs usually come with adware and even malware that might harm your PC & Mac.
As the codecs support a large number of multimedia files, they may steal some space from your hard drive or from your device. It is good if you need all of them; otherwise, it is not useful. If you install a codec pack to open and play only one video format, then it doesn’t seem to be worthy.
CONVERT AN MKV FILE (PC, MAC)
Convert your Mkv video to the most popular formats like MP4, AVI, and play them with your favorite software or app or on a portable device without MKV support.
To convert Mkv files on Windows-based PCs, we suggest using Freemake Video Converter. It is a free and specially designed tool with a number of output format options. Steps for conversion are:
- Install Freemake Video Converter onto your computer
- Add Mkv files via add Video button, and you can also drag and drop the videos into the software
- The software provides an inbuilt editor that lets you cut unnecessary video parts, rotate and join videos for the editing of your videos if you want to make some change or edit it.
- Select an output format. We recommend choosing AVI or MP4 as these extensions are supported by the majority of video players and devices. If you want to play Mkv on a DVD-player, then go for a DVD option. Furthermore, you can add subtitles to your video. Please note that Freemake Video Converter provides only hard subs option which means that you won’t be able to turn the subtitles track off
- Click to start the conversion process and convert your Mkv file into another video format like AVI or MP4.
After a few minutes, you’ll get a converted file that can be watched later offline, or you can upload it onto a portable device or on your website. It doesn’t support multiple audio and subtitles tracks.
Which codec pack you need to choose to play Mkv files?
The Mkv developers suggest using Combined Community Codec Pack and K-Lite Codec Pack for Windows-based PCs. For the full description of each pack, you can visit the official website. Choose the pack which one you like and then install it on your computer. Please pay attention during the installation process. The installer files may contain various ads or some spam files. Read all the offers, terms, and conditions attentively and don’t accept which you are not interested in.
After installation, you might be asked to restart the PC. After that, you can start playing the video files directly. Mac users can also install these codecs on laptops to play files with a standard QuickTime Player. The codecs for Mac are available at K-Lite Codec pack official site.