Google Drive is a cloud-based storage area that permits the user to save their files online and enable to access those files from anywhere in the world from any of the Smartphone, tablet, or a computer. Google Drive can also be used on your computer or a mobile phone to safely upload the files and then edit them online. It also helps other people and makes editing and collaboration of files much easier for them. Google Drive has several advantages like easy file sharing and has a remote location to backup your files. Having a Google Account gives the Drive using another benefit, which is of storage, as Google account user gets an extra benefit of 15 GB of free storage on Google Drive, so how that space can be efficiently utilized let us look down below.
Features of Google Drive
In Google, the user files remain private unless and until they are not being shared. But you have the opportunity to invite others to view, edit, or download the files and documents.
3.Access files from anywhere:-
There is no strict rule to access the file. They can be accessed from any smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can also access the files offline.
Google Drive can easily recognize the images and even text in the scanned documents, making searching files even more effortless.
The AES256 or AES128 encryption protects Google Drive files. The same security protocol can be used on other Google services.
How to use Google Drive
- Firstly, create a new Google account if you don’t have it already on your computer.
- It is completely free to create a Google Account, and it will instantly permit you access for Google Drive and other Google services like Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Photos.
- The moment you sign up for a Google account, you can start accessing Google Drive in your browser.
2.Uploading and file creation
- To access the files on Google Drive, you need to upload these files on Drive, so there are two methods to upload files from the web or client.
- The first one is the simpler method to upload the file that involves dragging the file or folder from the desktop and drop it into the browser window.
- The second option is to just click on the “New” button situated on the top left side of the screen and then select either of the option “File upload” or “Folder upload.”
3.Manage and organize files and folders
- The easiest way to manage your Google Drive is to create the folders and create the new folder on the web interface, browse to your Drive and then click on the “New” then “Folder.”
- As soon as you name your folder, you will be able to drag and drop the files directly to the folder that can found under “My Drive” on the panel to the left side of your screen.
4.Sharing files and folders
- Right-click on the file to bring up the context menu and then click on the “Share” button to share a Google Drive file or folder.
- You can easily add collaborations from there by using their email address and decide whether people have the permission to edit, comment, or just simply view the file.
Where Google Drive can be Accessed?
Google Drive on Mobile
The Google Drive mobile application works for both iOS and Android. This app lets you perform many activities like viewing, download, uploading, and delete the files all from the mobile device.
Google Drive on desktop
If you are a user more inclined to work on the desktop instead of a web browser, then Back Up, and Sync is the perfect app for Mac and PC that creates the backup of files easily to Google Drive.
Access files offline
Drive also permit the user to view and edit the files offline also without having any internet connection.
How Google Drive Works?
- Google drive gives the power to upload and save a different range of file types such as documents, photos, audio, and videos to Google servers, or we can say “cloud.”
- Google Drive can serve as a backup solution, or it can be said as it acts like a way to free up space on your device.
- Many users gravitate to these programs, consisting of Google Docs, sheets, slides, and many more.
- They let you create and edit the documents and are equipped with intuitive tools that permit real-time collaboration.
Commonly used Applications for Google Drive
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
- Google Forms
- Google Drawings
- Google Sites
How to convert files to Google Drive format
Files that can be converted into Google Drive format are:
- Text documents like (.doc, .docx, .html, .txt, .rtf, .pdf)
- Spreadsheets such as (.xls, .xlsx, .ods, .csv)
- Presentations like (.ppt, .pps, .pptx)
For converting the file into a Google Drive format
- Right-click on the file
- Select the “open with”option and tap the suggested app for it.
For example, if a user has a Microsoft Word document, they can convert it into a Google Doc file.